Psalm 34:9—You who are His holy ones, fear Yahweh, for those who fear Him lack nothing.
For all of my life I can honestly say I have lacked nothing. Yes, there have been times of deprivation, sickness, loss, pain, and frustration. Yet, always God’s presence, provision, and guidance have not just sufficed, but have made me strong to walk each day. And my story is just one of a countless number of His children who faithfully experience His assistance.
The writers of Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes present us with at leastten benefits from fearing God. These benefits are both temporal and in many cases eternal. If we are lacking in any of them it may be a sign that we are respect-deficient. We learn that fearing God:
1. Is the beginning of wisdom and key to knowing Him (Psa. 111:10, Pro.1:7; 2:5; 9:10). Proverbs 15:33 says, “The fear of the LORD is what wisdom teaches, and humility comes before honor.”
2. Prolongs life and brings salvation—reserving for us a spiritual heritage Psa. 85:9; Pro. 10:27; 14:27; 19:23). David wrote in Psa. 61:5, “God, You have heard my vows; You have given a heritage to those who fear Your name.”
3. Creates strong confidence and a refuge for our children (Pro. 14:26).
4. Promotes serenity( Pro. 15:16). Solomon testified that “The fear of the LORD leads to life; one will sleep at night without danger.”
5. Enhances reputation and establishes worth (Psa. 147:11). “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised” (Pro. 31:30).
6. Provides balance ( Ecc. 7:16-18).
7. Brings blessingand provision( Psa. 34:9; 111:5; 112:2,3; 128:2-4; 145:19; Pro. 31:19; Ecc. 8:12). The Psalmist promises in 115:13, “He will bless those who fear the LORD—small and great alike.”
8. Gives us His guidance and counsel. King David noted in Psa. 25:12,14, “Who is the man who fears the Lord? He will show him the way he should choose . . . The secret counsel of the Lord is for those who fear Him, and He reveals His covenant to them.”
9. Ensures His protection (Psa. 33:18; 60:4; 115:11). Remember the famous verse, Psa. 34:7, “The Angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them.”
10. Secures His love and compassion (Psa. 103:11,17). Psalm 103:13 says, “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.”
Jerry Bridges wrote in his book The Joy of Fearing God, “Properly fearing God is more than just a feeling or attitude—it’s a feeling or attitude "that changes our lives.” The benefits that come from establishing a deep respect for our Father are worth more than anything anyone on earth can give us. Do you believe this? As we explore this subject further we will see the transformation that takes place in the lives of those marked as God-fearers. Fear God! Something to think about . . . in reveration!
©2016 Daniel York ARR. Reveration is the weekly devotional ministry of First Cause. If you would like to receive these devotionals go to www.firstcause.org and click on the “Click here to receive weekly devotionals” box. Unlimited permission to copy this devotional without altering text or profiteering is allowed subject to inclusion of this copyright notice.
Ecclesiastes 12:10-The Teacher sought to find delightful sayings and to accurately write words of truth. (Holman CSB)